Wedding Bells are ringing! The spring and summer used to be considered “wedding season” but with the cooler temperatures and beautiful blooming flowers with such saturated colors, fall has become one of the popular times to get married. After being the guest at dozens of weddings and planning for my own, I have come up with a Wedding Survival Guide of how to prepare, look and feel your best for the big day and plan for the honeymoon.
Wedding preparations start as soon as you get that gorgeous ring and last until the big day. Here are my tips for my fellow brides:
- DRINK WATER! You hear it all the time but drinking tons of water is so beneficial to your skin and digestive system and will help you look and feel your best during planning and the big day.
- Diet & Exercise – So many brides decide to do these fad crash diets, detox teas or juice cleanses that are so unhealthy and don’t give the best results. By making good decisions when it comes to your meal choices by limiting carbs, refined sugar and fat and exercising 3 to 4 times a week, you will look and feel your best without putting your health at risk.
- Take care of your skin. If professional facials are not in your budget, get the spa treatment at home. Bliss Mask A-Peel Radiance Revealing Vitamin C Spa Mask brightens, nourishes and revitalizes your skin (bliss.com).
- Prep your hair. A few months before the big day get your hair highlighted or dyed so you can make sure it’s exactly what you want. I recommend going to a trustworthy stylist. I visited the James Corbett Studio in NYC where he used the Clairol Nice N Easy Sunkissed Collection to add natural highlights that worked with my hair color and brought out my skin tone. To keep it natural, he added some lowlights with Clairol Natural Instincts Spiced Tea. The end result was my hair but better and really added life to my face without looking like I had it colored. Maintenance is so easy since touch ups can be done at home with the same Clairol products he used (clariol.com) as well as the Clairol CC + ColorSeal Conditioner to help boost your color and add shine in between your appointments/colorings.
- Reversing Hair Damage. There are many events while planning a wedding. From the engagement party, bachelorette party, bridal shower, trials etc, your hair needs to handle the heat and products that could potentially damage your hair. StriVectin HAIR Ultimate Restore Deep Repair Mask (Sephora.com) restores hydration and repairs the damage caused by all the styling and will moisturize the scalp. Another option is Garnier Whole Blends Repairing Mask Honey Treasures (garnierusa.com) which not only smells amazing, it is super simple to use. Just put on the treatment in the shower after shampooing, (I recommend using the Conair Hook Up and Detangle brush to distribute evenly to hair) and after 3 minutes wash it out. Your hair will be left smooth, renewed and healthier.
- Whiten your teeth. If spending $400+ on professional whitening, is out of your budget; Have no fear! Crest Whitestrips Luxe Professional Effects (crest.com) give you the appearance of the pricey in-office whitening at a fraction of a cost. I started these about 3 weeks prior to the big day and only had to put them in for 30 minutes a day.
- Tanning. Lets face the facts, your white/ivory dress will look better on you if you have a little bit of a tan so you’re not completely washed out. As an alternative to visiting the tanning bed is at home self tanners. Vita Liberata pHemoninal 2-3 week tan mousse gives your skin a golden tone without that orangey hue that some tanning lotions have. The mouse is easy to apply and is tinted so you know exactly where you are putting it. A tip I discovered, go over ankles, knees and elbows with a damp bodyblender (beautyblender.com) to diffuse the mouse in these areas.
- Get your nails did. Obviously your fingers will be front and center, showing off your beautiful rings, so a fabulous mani and pedi are a must. To prep your nails I recommend using a good cuticle treatment. I love the Renovate cuticle moisturizer and protector which helps to strengthen the nail and cuticle bed. When it comes to the nail color, the possibilities are limitless but a quality nail polish is a musts. I love Smith & Cult for their smooth formula and long lasting finish. For a more traditional color I love Pillow Pie which is a semi-sheer light pink. Smith & Cult has also come out with new amazing fall colors if you want something a little unexpected. 1972 is a metallic rose gold and Darjeeling Darling which is a deep gorgous green (smithandcult.com).
With these tips, you’ll be ready to look your best on the big day!